Thursday, March 25, 2010

Lettuce Woes

Earlier today I attempted to make a salad. I love my salads. I eat one every day. Sometimes I want one for breakfast. I just really, really love my salads. Lately though I have noticed small bugs in my greens. I like to use green leaf lettuce. And I noticed that when we get the lettuce from one particular store in the area there have been little dead black insects on the lettuce.Like flys. Yuck. Well yesterday I went to Wally World and got some green leaf lettuce there. Now before I noticed the bugs on the other source of lettuce I would just rinse the lettuce leafs off to get off any dirt ect. But after finding the bugs I decided that the best way to clean the lettuce was by taking each leaf and rinsing it off individually. That way I could make sure that nothing got past me. I get really creeped out by bugs, I just don't like them. I especially don't like them in my salads! So today, at lunch time, I carefully pulled each lettuce leaf apart from the others and rinsed each piece off carefully putting the wet lettuce leafs aside afterwards. Then I gathered up the leafs to shake the excess water off of them before tearing them up to put into my salad bowl and as I was doing that I saw something clinging to one of the pieces of lettuce. Upon closer inspection I saw that it was a little worm larvae looking thing! Ewwwwwwwww! GAG! After that I just threw all the lettuce in the trash. I was too grossed out to even take a chance that I missed something. Ugh!! Nasty, nasty, nasty! What if I hadn't been looking carefully at each piece of lettuce and ate that thing. Ew, so Gross!! The thought chills me, seriously. So I had a spinach salad and carefully looked over every piece of spinach even though it came from a bag of pre-washed spinach. Now I am going to be paranoid. I don't quite know what to do.

3 comments:

  1. I totally know what you mean. Now that I buy the stuff that is precut in a bag from Costco, I've never found a bug in there. Maybe a little dirt, but that's not too bad.

    However, when I was 100% raw I did have the mindset that what's a little bug but some extra protein, lol. For some reason it didn't gross me out at all - if I saw one I'd certainly take it out. But I guess it was mostly when I was doing green smoothies instead of salad. I do love salads too, but my gosh, they take so darn long to prepare AND to eat compared to a green smoothie! Green smoothies are, in my opinion, God's gift to busy Mamas. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very bug phobic! I know it doesn't make any sense, but there it is. I remember getting organic wild blueberries in Maine and there were so many slugs (ewwww!) and worms (eeeeek) and other bugs in them that I couldn't even eat them. I was too grossed out. Uck!

    ReplyDelete