Chocolate cheesecake. There was also strawberry cheesecake that was really yummy too, but for some reason I didn't get a picture of those. They were my favorite too. I seriously could have sat at Karyns and eaten for hours and never tiring of the food but Little Angel started to get a wee bit cranky so it was time to go. I enjoyed this meal more than words can say. It was a wonderful way to taste a wide variety of raw food which is perfect for someone who rarely gets the privilege of eating gourmet raw that is prepared by someone other than herself! I love, love, love, love, loved it!!
After walking around town for a bit and seeing some of the beautiful sites of Chicago it was time for dinner at:
I had read mixed reviews about Cousins. A lot of mixed reviews. But we decided to give it a try. We were interested in their all you can eat buffet. It sounded like a good plan. So in we went.

Little Angel waiting adorably. She was such a good baby. She was very patient as we dragged her around from place to place. Since she is still solely nursing she didn't get to enjoy any of the food. She was just along for the ride.
Little Angel waiting adorably. She was such a good baby. She was very patient as we dragged her around from place to place. Since she is still solely nursing she didn't get to enjoy any of the food. She was just along for the ride.
The all you can eat buffet looked unappetizing to say the least. It was a soggy collection of wilty looking salad items that all looked the same. So we opted to get appetizers since we read a few good reviews about those.
We ordered the trio of taco, the stuffed mushrooms and the mini pizzas. The tacos were ok. Just ok. The flavors were predictable and uninspired and the mango in the salsa was not ripe. It tasted bitter. The mushrooms were bland, very cold, hard and had too much parsley. The pizzas were good but I could have done without the olive sauce on them. I don't like olives. But the tomato sauce on the pizza was really good. The other thing on the plate was these little chip things made out of zuchini. These were the best things we ate. The flavor was very mild and they were pleasantly sweet. We didn't finish all of the food. It just wasn't that good. The words I would use to describe it would be boring, predictable, uninspired and bland. Bland seemed to be the theme. And that was too bad. I really wanted to like this place, but they could not hold a candle to the amazing food at Karyns.
We also ordered bread which had the consistency of cardboard and the flavor to match. The sauces that accompanied the bread were likewise bland and boring.
For dessert we tried the mango cheesecake. This was was strange. The texture of the cheesecake was amazing, soft and velvety. It was very creamy and smooth. But the flavor was off. It sort of tasted like coconut oil. Sort of waxy tasting like that. And the mango flavor was so subtle as to not be detactable.
One of the other complaints that I read about Cousins was that the service was slow. We did not experience this. Our waiter was very prompt and friendly. The restaurant was nice and clean. The food just wasn't that good. What was good though was the water. They have ionized water there and I couldn't seem to get enough of the stuff. Supposedly it is up to 6 times more hydrating than regular water. I don't know about that though because I was drinking a lot of it and I don't normally drink that much. So maybe I was extremely dehydrated? I doubt it. It did taste good though :)

On Monday we went back to Karyns for lunch! See how happy My Big Helper is to be back at Karyns where the food is incredible?
We decided to order an appetizer and started out with:
The NACHOS!! Mmmmmmmmm! These were incredible!! Unbelievable! Awesome and amazing!!!!!
See, we ate them all up! And yes, that is a finger mark from one of us cleaning the plate!
For lunch My Big Helper had the wild rice medley. This was yummy. The flavors were very rich and deep. I don't know what they put in this but it was very savory and delicious.
One of the other complaints that I read about Cousins was that the service was slow. We did not experience this. Our waiter was very prompt and friendly. The restaurant was nice and clean. The food just wasn't that good. What was good though was the water. They have ionized water there and I couldn't seem to get enough of the stuff. Supposedly it is up to 6 times more hydrating than regular water. I don't know about that though because I was drinking a lot of it and I don't normally drink that much. So maybe I was extremely dehydrated? I doubt it. It did taste good though :)
On Monday we went back to Karyns for lunch! See how happy My Big Helper is to be back at Karyns where the food is incredible?
We decided to order an appetizer and started out with:
For dessert we had:

Fig and caramel crepes with a citrus sauce. Unbeleivable! I can't even think of the right words to express how good this was. It was unreal. The crepe was soft and delicate. The sauce was so good. The filling was crushed pecans and figs with an orange taste as well. The flavors were so complex. It was that layering again. I don't kow how they do it but all of their food is just amazing. It makes me want to move to Chicago, seriously, just so I can eat there once a week. It was so incredible!!
Fig and caramel crepes with a citrus sauce. Unbeleivable! I can't even think of the right words to express how good this was. It was unreal. The crepe was soft and delicate. The sauce was so good. The filling was crushed pecans and figs with an orange taste as well. The flavors were so complex. It was that layering again. I don't kow how they do it but all of their food is just amazing. It makes me want to move to Chicago, seriously, just so I can eat there once a week. It was so incredible!!
We also ordered several dishes to go that I did not get pictures of. We ordered bruscetta with tomato salsa. That was good. We also got spagetti with pistachio basil pesto. That was good too. It had a very mild flavor. I personally would have enjoyed more basil flavor in mine, but it was good. We got the tiramisu cheesecake too and ate that once we got home last night. MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm! That was yummy! And I don't like tiramisu!! But it didn't taste like tirimisu to me. It just tasted amazing.
I still have some food from Karyns in my fridge but it has taken me hours just to get this much written down so it will have to wait for a later post. I will talk more about Karyns in my next post too. I hope you all enjoyed my food pictures. :)
I LOVE RAW!!!!!!!!!!
I LOVE RAW!!!!!!!!!!
I am so sorry about your mediocre experience at Cousin's! I am the Office Manager here and the fact that you were disappointed really stinks to say the least. I know you are 6 hours away, but the next time you're in Chicago and feel like giving us another chance, please contact me and I will make sure you are given the BEST experience.
ReplyDeleteWe are certainly not as gourmet as Karyn's (which I agree about their nachos being fabulous!), and sometimes people come here expecting a similar experience. But it sounds like you were pretty open, and just didn't get the food you were interested in. I hope we can remedy that next time.
Take care,
Meagan
Hello Meagan - Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my blog. That was so very sweet of you. If we are ever in Chicago again I will definately contact you and give you guys another shot.
ReplyDeleteThanks again :) - Alisha